We ended up getting to the airport in a solid 20 minutes. We budgeted in an hour and a half to get to the airport because sometimes it has taken us that long due to the crazy traffic! When we got to the new terminal (basically Emirates airlines, which is the official airline of the UAE, opened their own brand new terminal at the airport and it is very posh!) there was the craziest man I have ever seen screaming at everyone! He was very pissed off for some reason and kept telling the manager to stop calling him "boss" and "boy". He also was yelling at the manager that he "no longer wanted to see this man in his life" (verbatim). It was so weird and awkward. The manager told someone else who worked there to call the police. We don't know if they were called or not, but they never came! So we ended up checking in and that took us about 2 minutes and then we were off to the lounge!
The lounge was VERY NICE. They have lots of amenities including a spa (only complimentary in the first class lounge- we would have had to pay), showers, free food and drinks and super comfy couches and large flat screen tv's everywhere. It had this wonderful buffet full of salads, fruits, yogurts as well as full course meals. Lots of Arabic inspired food but also the "basics" like french fries and cream puffs! :) Nice yellow bananas are so hard to find at grocery stores in Dubai, and I normally will eat 1-2 bananas a day, so when I saw the gorgeous yellow bananas they had, I seriously ate three. Aaron enjoyed the complimentary cocktails served at the various bars all throughout the lounge. We hung out, surfed the web and just relaxed for a while until it was time to board the plane. We also saw the crazy man from the check-in counter at the lounge!
The lounge was VERY NICE. They have lots of amenities including a spa (only complimentary in the first class lounge- we would have had to pay), showers, free food and drinks and super comfy couches and large flat screen tv's everywhere. It had this wonderful buffet full of salads, fruits, yogurts as well as full course meals. Lots of Arabic inspired food but also the "basics" like french fries and cream puffs! :) Nice yellow bananas are so hard to find at grocery stores in Dubai, and I normally will eat 1-2 bananas a day, so when I saw the gorgeous yellow bananas they had, I seriously ate three. Aaron enjoyed the complimentary cocktails served at the various bars all throughout the lounge. We hung out, surfed the web and just relaxed for a while until it was time to board the plane. We also saw the crazy man from the check-in counter at the lounge!
Here are some pics of the lounge that I got off the Emirates website:


Here are some pictures of the business class seats that I got off of google:



At 2am our flight took off and we landed in JFK at 8:05am. The flight was about 14 hours but went by pretty quickly. In business class, our seats, which are a lot like lazy boys, turn into beds and they even gave us mattresses (we are soooo spoiled!). We tried to get on "MN time" as soon as we boarded so we forced ourselves to stay awake until it was about 6am Dubai time, which was 9pm MN time. We slept for about 5 hours, woke up, ate breakfast and just chilled out until we landed. Our little girl was kicking like crazy and I think she loves to fly (business class, of course). After we landed we had a little time to kill in JFK until our flight took off at 12pm. Aaron had a turkey sandwich and I had some oatmeal from Au Bon Pain and then we headed off to our gate.While we were waiting for our plane to arrive (it was a little late) I got up to walk around and find a Diet Coke somewhere. As soon as I walked past the ticket counter, the employee working behind the counter called "Aaron and Lauren Vanney" to the front counter. I walked over there and the employee asked me if Aaron was still "elite". He ment have elite status on the airline, but me of course being the wise-ass that I am, said "Oh yes of course my husband is very elite". Everyone laughed, including 2 women who were waiting in line at the ticket counter, and the employee told me he ment elite status. Luckily Aaron still has that status and I was told that for our flight from NYC to MN we had been upgraded to FIRST CLASS! Woohoo!!! What a treat! The last time I flew first class on a domestic flight was right before our wedding and that was only because I was traveling back and forth so frequently from Chicago to CT that I banked a ton of miles. Aaron has silver status with the airline because he flies pretty frequently on Air France (affiliate of Northwest) so that was why we were upgraded.
Our flight was a quick 2 hours and a little bumpy but we safely landed in St. Paul/ Minneapolis around 2pm. Aaron's dad, Bob, picked us up and we went to Chevy's (a tex-mex restaurant for lunch). Yummy!!
Finally we arrived home at the Vanney's house in St. Paul, MN:




No comments:
Post a Comment