Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

A "Bow"-tload of Bows!

Yesterday, I helped out my friend Suzanne with her new craft "business"...Bow-ture Bow-tique ....at the Festival City mall. A little backstory...Suzanne has a 3 year old daughter Fayth who wears lots of bows! People are always stopping her and asking her where she gets those bows from. Well, you cannot find them here in Dubai so Suzanne decided to start making them on her own and selling them.

This all happened while I was back in the states. Well, funny thing is, while I was home, I wanted to bring back a bunch of supplies to Dubai to make some headbands with flowers on them for Veronica. Not to sell, but just to have for my baby! I didn't end up buying the stuff because I was trying to be budget conscieous but we must have been on the same wavelength. When I came home, Suzanne told me about her new idea and I really thought it would be a hit!

Fastforward to yesterday and it is her first day selling her bows. Suzanne asked me if I could come for a few hours, help her set up and get her feet wet. We came to the mall, "set up shop" (it's a once a month craft fair that is hosted by an Art program in Dubai) and let the bow-selling begin! Well...we thought it would at least! The bow-selling was VERY slow. One sale every half hour for about the first 6 hours.

And then, the unexpected happened.....

We had a rush of people and were selling bows like mad. We had about 3-4 families at our table and BOOM...our freaking table CRASHED TO THE FREAKING FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My reaction was no reaction...I was in stunned silence...I heard in the far-off distance (when in reality she was standing right next to me) Suzanne scream! I scrambled to pick up the bows after I snapped out of my stupor and luckily we had no bow-tastrophes!!

Side story to this...I was helping a local husband and wife. Gorgeous, gorgeous people. Especially the husband...WOWZA. Well, before I know it, I have diet coke flying in front of my face and the table on the floor. I felt like the dorky freshman who drops her schools books in front of the high school quarterback!!!! LOL :)

Luckily, we recovered in record time and still managed to make some sales!  We didn't even break a sweat! ;) We did so well that Suzanne had to run off in a corner across the way a few times to hot glue gun some more bows together because she had not made enough! A picture of that, down below...hilarious!!!

Long story short, we had a blast, lots of laughs, got to finally interact with some Emiratis and just really enjoyed ourselves...

AND, the great news? I will be joining her! The flower headbands I wanted to make for V? Well, I'm going to make some for the fairs. I can't wait!! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment