The last time my mom came out, we tried to go to the tour of Jumeriah Mosque in Dubai, but unfortunately we were about 10 minutes late and missed it. So, we shopped instead! (Big surprise, right?!)
Well, this time around we were determined to be there on time so we could do the tour. I heard wonderful things about it from friends and I also read some great reviews about the tour so I knew it was a "must do". Plus, I wanted my mom to see a little bit more of the Dubai culture besides the fabulous restaurants and huge shopping malls (wait a second...who cares about the cultural stuff...that sounds pretty great to me!).
So anyways, we got there on time and I have to say, we had a great time listening to the presentation and learning about Islam! I didn't realize that I had so many misconceptions about the religion. We learned about the 5 pillars of Islam as well as about what Mecca is, what the traditional Muslim dress represents, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember at the moment. Haha! :)
We both really liked the tour and I will make sure that Aaron will take his parents to it when they come out here. We had to cover our hair in scarves and take off our shoes before we entered the mosque which was kind of cool. Of course, my mom and I couldn't figure out how to make ourselves look good with the scarves on so we looked more like bag ladies than anything else! ;)
We were allowed to take pictures of everything so here are a few that I took! The presenter was actually a British expat woman, who has lived in Dubai for 17 years. She married an Emirati and converted to Islam 12 years ago. She was super nice, informative, and funny too!




No comments:
Post a Comment